The Banking Group regularly advises banks and bank holding companies, as well as other financial institutions, on a wide range of matters in the complex regulatory environment in which they operate. We represent banks and financial institutions of all sizes – from large regional holding companies with operations throughout the Southeast to smaller publicly held and closely-held bank holding companies and community banks.
Members of the Banking Group often work with attorneys in the firm’s other practice areas offering services to banks and financial institutions such as employment law and personnel matters, employee benefits, executive compensation, real estate, environmental issues, bankruptcy, tax, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, securities, corporate governance, director and officer issues and responsibilities, governmental affairs, commercial litigation, estate and wealth planning and estate and trust administration.
Maynard Cooper is a member of the following professional associations:
- American Bankers Association
- Community Bankers Association of Alabama
- Alabama Bankers Association
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Mortgage Bankers Association of Alabama
- Manufactured Housing Institute
- Alabama ACH Association
- Alabama Treasury Management Association
Our lawyers have been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America, by Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and by their peers as top attorneys in Banking. We regularly advise financial institutions of all sizes on matters involving every aspect of their business and the increasingly complex regulatory environment in which they operate.
Banking Regulatory Guidance and Examination Preparation:
- Advice regarding Federal and State Bank Regulatory Issues
- Preparation of Regulatory Applications
- Examination Planning and Preparation
- Regulatory Compliance Matters and Advice
- Charter Conversions
- Fair Lending
- Development of agreements for retail products and services
- Review and negotiation of agreements with vendors and service providers
- Review of advertisements for retail products and services
Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Preparation and Negotiation of Definitive Agreements
- Preparation of Regulatory Applications
- Due Diligence Reviews
- Tax Analysis
- Securities Law Compliance
- Leveraged Buyouts
- Anti-Takeover Planning
- Going Private Transactions
Capital Planning and Raising:
- Private Placements and Public Offerings of Securities
- Bank Stock Loans
- Trust Preferred Securities Issuances
- Capital Plans
General Corporate Matters:
- Corporate Governance Planning and Advice
- Recapitalization and Reorganization Implementation
Problem Bank and Thrift Issues:
- Examiner Dispute Resolution
- Negotiation of Memoranda of Understanding and Orders to Cease and Desist
- Negotiation of Litigation of Administrative Enforcement Actions
- Failed Institution Acquisitions
- New Capital Raising
- Appeals of Materials Supervisory Determinations
Executive Compensation and Employee Benefit Plans:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans
- 401(k) Plans
- Leveraged ESOP Transactions
- Incentive Compensation and Stock Option Plans
- Employment Agreements – Golden Parachutes
- Profit Sharing and Pension Plans
New Bank and Thrift Organizations:
- Organizational and Regulatory Advice
- Business Plan Creation
- Preparation of the Interagency Charter and Federal Deposit Insurance Application
- Private Placements and Public Stock Offerings
- Development of Bank Policies
Birmingham, Ala. - Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. is pleased to announce that Lois S. Woodward has joined the firm’s Birmingham, Alabama office.
Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. Receives Superior Rankings in the U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers 2010 Best Law Firms Rankings
Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. has received high rankings in the U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers inaugural “Best Law Firms Rankings” report. Eleven of the firm’s practice areas received National rankings, including: Banking and Finance Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Corporate Law, Employment Law (Management), General Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Labor Law (Management), Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, Project Finance Law, and Venture Capital Law. Notably, Maynard Cooper was the only Southeast-based firm to receive a National First Tier ranking for Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law.
Birmingham, Ala. – Fifty-four lawyers from Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. are recognized as leading lawyers in the 2010 edition of Alabama Super Lawyers, an independent lawyer rating publication. Of these fifty-four attorneys, nine attorneys - Lee E. Bains, Jr., Elizabeth G. Beaube, Stephen E. Brown, Mark L. Drew, Fournier J. “Boots” Gale III, Maibeth J. Porter, Kirby Sevier, Robert R. Sexton and H. Thomas Wells, Jr. - are included in the Top 50 list. In addition, five Maynard Cooper attorneys – Elizabeth G. Beaube, Carol Sue Nelson, Maibeth J. Porter, Frances King Quick and Katharine A. Weber - made the list of the Top 25 women receiving the highest point totals.
Birmingham, Ala. – Twenty-three lawyers from Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. are recognized as leading lawyers in Alabama in the 2010 edition of Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Maynard Cooper has also been ranked in all six practice areas listed in the Chambers USA 2010 directory. The six practice areas covered in the directory include: 1) Banking and Finance; 2) Bankruptcy/Restructuring; 3) Labor and Employment; 4) Litigation: General Commercial; 5) Corporate/Commercial and 6) Real Estate.
Birmingham, Ala. - Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. is pleased to announce that eight former associates, Audrey Y. Dupont, Andrea M. Greene, Kathryn Roe Eldridge, C. Andrew Kitchen, E. Bryan Nichols, Mitesh B. Shah, Lee L. Sheppard, and Edward S. Sledge IV have been named shareholders of the firm. “All of these individuals have been outstanding members of our firm, and we are very pleased to have them join the shareholder ranks,” said Mark L. Drew, Managing Partner of the firm.