Bryan is a Shareholder and member of the Litigation Section at Maynard Cooper. His litigation practice is centered on product liability, complex litigation, commercial disputes, and mass torts. He practices in the firm’s Birmingham and Huntsville offices.
Bryan has successfully represented clients in federal and state courts at every stage of litigation. His recent work includes representing aircraft, chemical, tire, and specialty-metal manufacturers, utility service providers, national retailers, banks, heavy equipment rental companies, construction companies, government contractors, and real estate developers. He regularly defends clients against wrongful death and personal injury claims, and has extensive experience handling complex commercial disputes and mass tort dockets. Though he focuses on defense work, Bryan has litigated complex business disputes for plaintiffs as well as defendants.
Bryan has been listed as a “Rising Star” by Alabama Super Lawyers in the Personal Injury Products Defense category every year since 2011. In 2015, the American Bar Association named Bryan as Co-chair of the Litigation Section’s Chemical Subcommittee.
Drawing from his service in the military, Bryan also practices in the area of international trade regulation with an emphasis on defense trade. He assists companies in establishing international trade control compliance programs and conducts internal investigations of potential ITAR and EAR violations.
Before attending law school, Bryan graduated from West Point and served in the United States Army as a commissioned officer and helicopter pilot, where he obtained instructor pilot status in the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter. After graduating from law school, Bryan served as a law clerk to the Honorable Karon O. Bowdre, Chief Judge for the United States District Court in the Northern District of Alabama.
- Current representation of an international heavy equipment rental company in product liability cases and commercial disputes pending in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Current defense of an international chemical company in personal injury claims arising from asbestos exposure.
- Represented a fire extinguisher manufacturer in a wrongful death and severe personal injury case arising from a combustible dust explosion.
- Obtained judgment for a regional utility services provider in a trial involving encroachments into a flood easement.
- Member of the trial team that represented a Fortune 50 chemical company against consolidated personal injury lawsuits filed in Alabama and West Virginia. The plaintiffs were approximately 1,600 individuals alleging respiratory injury from exposure to isocyanate-containing products used in coal mines. The cases were favorably resolved after pre-trial motions and jury selection.
- Won summary judgment for a real estate company in a commercial dispute involving contract claims and intentional torts.
- Won summary judgment for client in a multi-million dollar commercial dispute involving aquaculture products and facilities in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Defended a global chemical company, its subsidiary, and its employees in an industrial accident involving traumatic personal injuries.
- Represented an international aircraft manufacturing company in product liability and wrongful death actions filed in three states.
- Won summary judgment for a regional bank on breach of contract claims.
- Defended a regional utility services provider and its subsidiaries in consolidated mass actions arising from a chemical spill and alleged groundwater contamination.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a specialty metals manufacturing company in a commercial case involving contract claims and intentional torts.
- Defended a tire manufacture in an SUV roll-over case resulting in alleged traumatic brain injuries.
- Obtained favorable determination ($0 penalty) from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls related to the voluntary disclosure of potential ITAR violations.
- Represented multiple companies in the voluntary disclosure process associated with ITAR and EAR issues.
- Alabama Super Lawyers®, 2011-2015 – Rising Star, Personal Injury Defense: Products
Bryan’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association – Litigation Section, Product Liability Committee; Automotive Subcommittee, Co-Chair
- Alabama State Bar Association – International Law Section, Treasurer
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Birmingham Inns of Court
- Boy Scouts of America, Assistant Scoutmaster
- YMCA Fundraiser
- West Point Society of Birmingham
Judge Karon O. Bowdre
United States District Court, in the Northern District of Alabama