Jay is an accomplished litigator. He has tried a number of complex cases to verdict and successfully handled appeals and obtained favorable settlements for clients. Jay is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© and Mid-South Super Lawyers.
Jay has a long history of involvement in the Republican Party and the conservative movement in Alabama, including service as election counsel to numerous candidates, service on the executive committee of the Alabama Republican Party, and as a founder of the Red Mountain Republicans in Birmingham. He is also a member of the Federalist Society.
Jay is active in organizations that help children from low-income families through conservative solutions. He serves on the Board of Directors at Cornerstone School, an inner city Christian school. He has long been involved with the Birmingham Athletic Partnership, which partners with local businesses to provide resources and equipment to inner city public schools. He also counsels and works with Scholarships for Kids, a scholarship granting organization that helps to send students from low-income families to high-quality schools.
Jay previously served on the firm’s executive committee.
Jay received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law. He holds an M.A. from University College Dublin (Ireland) and a B.A. magna cum laude from Birmingham-Southern College, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa, served as President of the student body, and played forward on the school’s 1995 national championship basketball team.
Jay and his wife, Elizabeth, are longtime members of Church of the Highlands. They reside in Homewood with their four children.
- Represented major transit bus manufacturer in commercial and product liability matters around the country.
- Represented national media company in lawsuit against high-profile sports talk radio personality.
- Represented national media company in federal lawsuit to enforce non-compete agreement of key employee.
- Prosecuted large-scale construction defect case on behalf of developer and condominium owners association.
- Co-trial counsel for individual defendant in white collar criminal case tried to verdict in federal court.
- First-chair trial counsel for victorious municipal school board candidate in election contest.
- First-chair trial counsel for industrial testing company in environmental tort case tried to verdict in Alabama circuit court.
- Co-trial counsel for billboard company in commercial case tried to verdict in Alabama circuit court.
- Co-trial counsel in AAA arbitration hearing for Alabama affiliate of nation’s largest waste management company.
- Represented foundation repair company in multiple lawsuits in Alabama courts and in arbitration.
- Represented clients in connection with ad valorem tax disputes.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2016-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® – Preeminent Rating
Jay’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association, Civil Courts Committee
- Cornerstone Schools, Board of Directors; Executive Committee
- Birmingham Athletic Partnership, Firm Representative
- Birmingham-Southern College Alumni Board
- Church of the Highlands