Joe Bird is a registered patent attorney and member of Maynard Cooper’s Intellectual Property Practice. He combines an active patent and trademark prosecution practice with technology- and science-related disputes and litigation.
Joe has prosecuted or worked on numerous patents and related IP matters, including licensing, trademarks, copyrights and noncompetition covenants. His patent prosecution experience includes bioelectronics, neurotechnology, optical and audio devices, software and manufacturing processes, cognitive neuroscience inventions, and sundry mechanical devices. He also has significant experience in patent litigation and the determination of patentable subject matter in software and other process patents, including neurotechnology. Joe offers clients a unique blend of experience in the field of IP and litigation.
Joe has tried more than 30 cases to final verdict in state and federal courts, and has been lead counsel or a team member in large-scale commercial and national pharmaceutical litigation involving alleged neurological and neurodevelopmental injuries, including claims related to autism, Thimerosal and vaccines.
Best Lawyers® recognized Joe as the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Litigation: Intellectual Property. He attended UAB’s graduate program in Vision Science and completed the coursework for an M.S. degree, studying a combination of neurobiology, cognitive neuroscience, physiological optics, biochemistry and genetics.
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Litigation-Intellectual Property, Litigation-Patent, and Patent Law (2016-present); Information Technology Law (2019)
- Best Lawyers® 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Litigation: Intellectual Property
- Benchmark Litigation “Litigation Star,” Alabama (2011-present)
- Birmingham Magazine “Top Attorneys” for Intellectual Property (2016)
Joe’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- Alabama Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association