Katharine serves as the primary outside counsel for a Fortune 500 insurance and financial services company, litigating and managing their cases (individual cases and class actions) throughout the United States. Representative cases include unearned premium refund class actions, policy-dating litigation, broker disputes and life insurance claims litigation.
In 2013 she was selected as a 2013 BTI Client Service All-Star, a select group of 307 attorneys chosen nationally via client feedback.
In 2004 she was inducted into the Association of Life Insurance Counsel. She was appointed Chair of the Corporate Section in that organization in 2006 and to a three-year term to the Board of Governors in 2008. She also has served on the membership committee and currently serves as co-chair of the social activities for the group.
Katharine is a frequent lecturer on life insurance trends and compliance. She is active in the Firm, currently serving as Chairperson of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee since 2010. In 2015, she was elected to the Firm’s Compensation Committee.
Prior To Maynard Cooper
In 1989-90, after graduation from law school, Katharine clerked for the Honorable Emmett Ripley Cox of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. She graduated first in her law school class at The University of Alabama.
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Insurance Law (2007-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2015 “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Law
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Insurance Coverage (2016 – present); “Top 50 Women Mid-South Super Lawyers” (2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2008-2015); “Top 25 Women Alabama Super Lawyers” (2009-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating – Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers (2013)
Katharine’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Chairperson, Panel IV – Character & Fitness
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Advent Episcopal Association for Education, Board Member (2004 – present)
- Partners in Neighborhood Growth, Board Member (2004-2014)
- Catholic Family Services, Board Member (2012 – present)
- Mountain Brook Sports Corporation (present)