Allison Taylor is a Shareholder and Co-Chair of Maynard Cooper’s Family Business Practice, and she is also a member of the firm’s Corporate, Securities & Tax and Estate, Trust & Business Planning practices.
Allison focuses on business planning, estate planning and administration, and tax planning, and she is a frequent lecturer in all of these areas. Her representative clients include closely-held businesses as well as high net worth individuals and families. Allison facilitates business and estate planning strategies with her clients by counseling them on wealth preservation, asset protection and succession planning to help them achieve their goals and objectives. An integral component of Allison’s practice is ensuring that business planning and estate planning strategies work together to provide clients with holistic solutions to meet their needs. As a compliment to her practice, Allison is trained in collaborative law, an alternative dispute resolution process that is particularly useful in disputes arising in the context of families and closely-held businesses.
With over 20 years of experience handling legal and business matters for clients from diverse industries including the manufacturing, services and technology sectors, Allison also provides general counsel services to both start-up and mature businesses. During her career, Allison spent several interim years as Vice President and General Counsel for Southern Research, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization with nearly 500 scientists and engineers engaged in scientific discovery and technology development. With her broad and diverse experience, she provides expertise through the entire business lifecycle, including organization, operations, and exit/transition.
Allison is a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. Her success has consistently earned industry recognition. She was named to the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers. Alabama Super Lawyers® has listed her as a leading attorney in Estate Planning and Probate law, and she has been consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the area of Trusts and Estates.
Allison earned her J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law and her Master of Laws in taxation from New York University School of Law. She holds a B.S. in commerce and business administration from the University of Alabama.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Trusts and Estates
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating – Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Alabama Super Lawyers® for Estate Planning & Probate
Allison’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Alabama State Bar Association, (Taxation Section – Past Board Member)
- American Institute on Federal Taxation, Past Member Board of Trustees
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section; Taxation Section)
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Birmingham Tax Forum, Past President
- Birmingham Business Alliance, Entrepreneurial Roundtable
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Birmingham Collaborative Alliance
- YMCA, Volunteer and Past Board Member
- Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program
- YWCA-Kids Korner