Michel is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s Corporate Section and a member of several practice groups including the Securities Regulation and Corporate Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity and Venture Capital, and Health Care groups.
He routinely counsels issuers, broker-dealers, registered investment advisors and venture capital, private equity and other companies in the areas of capital markets and mergers and acquisitions. His work in these areas has focused primarily in the healthcare and financial services arenas. Michel also advises his clients about compliance with laws and regulations on securities (e.g., 1933 Act, 1934 Act, Investment Advisers Act, FINRA) and healthcare (e.g., HIPAA, Stark, Anti-Kickback Statute).
Prior to private practice, Michel spent several years as a financial editor and reporter in Washington, D.C. for “The Gray Sheet,” a publication covering the medical device and diagnostic industries worldwide.
- Private offerings: Acted as lead counsel to multiple issuer and broker-dealer clients on over 60 initial and follow-on private offerings involving the sale of debt and equity securities that have raised more than $1 billion in the aggregate
- Alternative capital raises: Represented privately-held and publicly-traded companies on dozens of alternative equity financings, including tax credits, EB-5 and Private Investment in Public Equity (PIPE) financings
- Healthcare M&A: Lead counsel to a large healthcare company with regard to mergers and acquisitions activities, including successfully closing bolt-on acquisitions of ten companies over the past few years
- Financial services M&A: Representation of financial services company in several asset purchase transactions of other financial services companies for more than $120 million in the aggregate and the related draw-down of an existing credit facility
- Restaurant acquisition transaction: Lead counsel to restaurant holding company with respect to its stock acquisition of an entity that owns and franchises restaurants in multiple states, as well as a related 506(b) private offering to raise proceeds for the acquisition
- Sale of diagnostic company: Represented privately-held cancer diagnostic test developer in all-stock merger with a publicly-held healthcare company valued at approximately $27 million
- Private fund formation: Represented timber investment management organization on formation and ongoing operations of a $1 billion open-ended domestic fund and, separately, multiple other private equity clients on more than a dozen fund formations and over $200 million in related private equity transactions
- Hospital sale: Represented Alabama healthcare authority in the asset sale of an acute care hospital and related medical office building assets and facilities to another Alabama healthcare authority
- HIPAA compliance: Lead counsel to multiple HIPAA covered entities and business associates with respect to compliance issues, including privacy and security risk assessments, drafting and implementing policies and procedures, training, and addressing actual and potential breaches of protected health information (PHI)
- Birmingham Business Journal “Top 40 Under 40” (2018)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2016 & 2018)
- Birmingham Magazine “Top Attorney” (2017)
Michel’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Leadership Initiative, 2017-2018
- W&L Birmingham Alumni Chapter, Treasurer
- Alabama State Bar Health Law Section, Vice Chair
- Public Affairs Research Council of Alabama, roundtable member
- Children’s of Alabama Committee for the Future