Mitchell is an Associate and member of the Labor and Employment and Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Groups at Maynard Cooper. He also has an extensive background in Business and General Litigation.
His significant litigation experience includes work in the areas of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, executive severance agreement disputes, intellectual property matters, FLSA matters, workers’ compensation disputes, business torts and contract disputes and product liability actions. His trial experience includes litigating non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, contract disputes, product liability claims and civil rights matters in both state and federal courts in Alabama.
Mitchell’s strengths extend outside the courtroom as well. He has experience managing large scale, multi-state document productions involving both electronic and paper records. He also understands the value and certainty of early dispute resolution and has represented companies in the resolution of claims including contract disputes, product liability actions and non-competition and non-solicitation agreements at both the pre-litigation and pre-trial stages of disputes.
Super Lawyers has recognized Mitchell as a “Rising Star” in the areas of Business Litigation and Employment & Labor Law.
Mitchell received his J.D. cum laude from Washington & Lee University. He holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Alabama.
- Member of a team that represented the State of Alabama Department of Corrections in a month-long federal court trial and the eventual settlement of a state-wide class action brought by inmates alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Member of a team that represented an out-of-state general contractor in a week-long dispute resolution hearing before the State of Alabama Building Commission resulting in a multi-million dollar contract adjustment in favor of the general contractor.
- Member of a team that represented automobile manufacturers in the defense and trial of crashworthiness cases brought in Alabama state courts.
- Managed a team that conducted a large scale multi-state document review and production involving both paper and electronic documents.
- Member of a team that represented a defense contractor in the enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements resulting in a pre-trial settlement.
- Member of a team that represented a media company in the enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements resulting in a pre-trial settlement.
- Member of a team that represented a recreational vehicle accessory manufacturer in products liability lawsuits including claims for personal injury and wrongful death.
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employment & Labor (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Business Litigation (2014-2015)
Mitchell’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Childcare Resources, Board of Directors; Junior Board Event Co-Chair 2013-2014; Junior Board President 2012-2013; Junior Board Vice President 2011-2012
Mitchell’s Speaking Engagements
10/26/18: “Managing Employees on Social Media,” 64th Annual Human Resources Management Conference (Birmingham, AL)