Stephen is a Shareholder and member of the Real Estate and Commercial Lending practices at Maynard Cooper, and he serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Recruiting Committee.
Stephen’s expansive practice is national in scope and includes representation of buyers, sellers, developers, landlords and tenants in all types of real estate matters, including acquisition, development, financing and leasing matters and banks in all kinds of commercial transactions. Stephen has handled real estate, lease and financing matters from California to Pennsylvania and from Montana to Florida and most states in between.
Stephen acts as corporate counsel for owners, developers, investors and users in all types of projects, with extensive experience in portfolio work, development and leasing, and a strong focus on the retail and office sectors and the banking and education industry groups.
Stephen is well-versed in commercial lending of all types, especially corporate loans, middle market loans, real estate-secured loans, and multi-state transactions, as well as the sale of distressed bank assets (both notes and OREO properties).
Stephen represents both landlords and tenants nationwide across the full spectrum of leasing matters, including major corporate headquarter leases, build-to-suit leases and ground leases. He has particular experience in office, educational, retail, restaurant and banking leases.
Stephen has received numerous distinctions for his talents and work as an attorney, including the coveted ranking by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Practitioner in Real Estate Law, a distinction he has earned every year since 2013. He is also consistently listed in Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers®.
Stephen received his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law and holds a B.S. in Economics from the University of Alabama as well. Stephen and his wife, Allison, have two boys, Henry and Bo.
“He is my go-to guy there for real estate…. very well regarded… probably the best real estate lawyer in the state.” – Client Testimonial
- Representing a national bank in the sale of notes, the acquisition and development of bank facilities and the sale of surplus properties
- Representing a developer in the lease-up of Alabama’s tallest office building
- Representing a national bank in the re-finance of a portfolio of 35 restaurants in nine states
- Representing a city in the development of its new minor league baseball stadium
- Representing various higher education institutions in the development or leasing of over 80 leased office and school facilities nationwide
- Representing the developer for a big-box grocer in the development of new retail sites throughout Alabama
- Representing a developer in the $50,000,000 acquisition, redevelopment and subsequent sale of the 50-acre site of the Southeast’s first indoor shopping mall
- Represented an office building developer with key tenant leasing for Alabama’s tallest office building
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Real Estate (2013-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law (2012-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2014-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Stephen’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Association, Real Property and Business Law Sections
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- United Way, Financial Services Committee, Chair (2014) and Member (2012-2013)
- Maynard Cooper’s United Way Campaign, Co-Chair (2015-present)