Jay focuses his practice on complex litigation matters, including commercial business litigation, class actions, mergers & acquisitions litigation, false advertising litigation, and products liability litigation. He has represented clients in matters pending in Alabama, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia.
- Defended Nestle Purina Petcare in the Eastern District of Michigan against Lanham Act claims related to the use of images on product packaging. Obtained summary dismissal of all claims. Results was featured in Law360. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed dismissal at 889 F. 3d 267 (2018).
- Representing Internet of Things (IoT) company in appraisal proceeding before the Delaware Court of Chancery
- Defended automobile component manufacturer in commercial dispute related to just-in-time delivery
- Defended multiple Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) cases against nationwide lender including a putative class action filed in the Northern District of Illinois
- Defended university hospital and lead researcher in civil action alleging research misconduct filed in the Northern District of California. Case dismissed after filing Rule 12(b) motion.
- Defended Fortune 500 printer manufacturer in putative antitrust class action originally filed in the Northern District of Alabama
- Defended privately held OB/GYN practice in shareholder dispute alleging minority shareholder oppression
- Obtained partial summary judgment for nationwide contract research organization in indemnification dispute following stock acquisition
- Defended foundry and machining company in dispute following termination of letter of intent
- Defended putative class action against manufactured home company filed in the Southern District of Texas
- Shafron v. Aviva Life and Annuity Co., 2014 WL 763238 (N.D. Ohio Feb. 21, 2014). Court granted Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings dismissing Plaintiff’s negligence and fiduciary duty claims in annuity suitability matter.
- Pate Flagship, LLC v. Cypress Equities Se., LLC, 88 F. Supp. 3d 1271, 1273 (N.D. Ala. 2015). Commercial dispute involving GO Zone bond proceeds. District Court granted Defendant’s motion to dismiss.
Jay’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers Section – Secretary-Treasurer 2017, President-Elect 2018
Judge Abdul K. Kallon
United States District Court, in the Northern District of Alabama, 2011-2012