John David is a Shareholder and member of several practice groups in Maynard Cooper’s Litigation Section. He is also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
John David focuses his practice on defending financial institutions, mortgage companies, and mortgage servicers in individual and class claims arising from federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Unfair Trade Practices.
His clients include some of the nation’s largest national banks, mortgage companies/servicers, consumer finance companies, and credit card issuers. Because of his legal experience and in-depth industry knowledge, clients often seek John David’s advice and guidance in connection with regulatory compliance disputes, audits and investigations.
John David’s proven litigation skills often involve him in other practice areas at Maynard Cooper. He has extensive experience defending HMOs, TPAs, health benefit plans, insurers, plan sponsors, and managed behavioral health organizations in litigious matters including payor/provider contract disputes, benefit claim disputes, 401(k) stock drop actions, and fiduciary breach actions. He has defended health care and insurance clients in state and federal courts nationwide.
The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers have recognized John David’s talents as a litigator, as well as in the areas of Insurance Law and Employee Benefits.
John David earned his J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Alabama.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Insurance Law (2013-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for General Litigation (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for General Litigation and Employee Benefits (2013-2015)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in General Litigation (2010)
John’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Torts and Insurance Law Sections
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Life, Health and Disability Law Sections
- Birmingham Bar Association; Young Lawyers Section, Vice President, Public Service (2006)
- Birmingham Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyer Project, Committee Member (2005)
- Public Service Committee Member
Honorable Edwin L. Nelson
U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Alabama